Monday, February 26, 2018

(IN)FERTILITY FRIDAY - Retrieval recap

Sorry I am not posting till now. Blakely came down with the flu and I left for Middle school camp on Friday so I didn't have time to post on everything with the craziness.
So Thursday morning, Dave & I headed in to the Dr. for my egg retrieval. I was called back to my own top secret area and Dave was left in the waiting room. They said we will see you in about an hour when she is done and the anesthesia has worn off. So off I went, I wish he was there with me while I did all the pre-op stuff, but I do appreciate that the room is locked with a code to get in and they allow no-one except who is absolutely necessary in there. Its the retrieval area, but also where they take your eggs and fertilize and store them. No need for extra people around to mess things up.

The gave me my IV, took some stats and took me back to an OR table, they said ok we will see you in 15 minutes and I immediately was out. Next thing I know I was waking up and asking how many eggs I got. The Dr retrieved 8 eggs. That was pretty good. I would have loved 10, but 8 was very realistic since I only got 10 almost 4 years ago. I am getting older, so 8 sounded right on track. They got Dave out of the waiting room and down I rode in a wheelchair to the car and we were off. I was little tired and had some minimal cramping, but other than that no issues. The next day my stomach was a little bloated, but nothing to complain about. So then it was time to wait.


While I was having surgery, Dave was taken away to "fertilize" the eggs and we were going to receive a call in 2 days to see how many of them fertilized properly and started splitting into cells and eventually a baby. Since I was at camp with zero service, they called Dave and told him the news. He eventually got a hold of me and he told me that 7 out of the 8 had fertilized properly!!! I was hoping for atleast 6 so I was super happy with 7! They said the 8th one actually had divided into 1 cell so they were going to watch it. It may just be slower than the others, or it could die off, but 7 were good. So we continue to wait! Hopefully all 7 babies are growing and diving strong and I will get a call on Thursday to let me know a final number. At that point we will decide if we want to biopsy and do genetic testing or just freeze them. Hopefully we will have atleast 5 or 6 and will move forward with the genetic testing. Those results take another 2 weeks so more waiting.

In the meantime, I am waiting for a period to come and then depending on when that happens, hopefully I can time it to have the results back in time to transfer 2-3 weeks after my period starts. Its all up in the air though still so no exact transfer date. Just a rough outline. Thank you for all your prayers. I have felt such a peace with whatever the outcome and being at camp during this was great for my soul. Definitely put things into perspective for me. Yes I want a baby, but there are also so many innocent kids out there that need Jesus and just someone to love them so whatever happens I know it is part of God's plan and it will be exactly he wants to use me to fulfill his mission. Dave called during our worship time and when I went back in, my current favorite song was being sung and the gratefulness I felt to God was so overwhelming, I just cried the whole song. To get such good news, to see some girls who have never even been to church have their hands in the air, eyes closed worshiping, to see so many amazing kids who know Jesus shine like a light for him. It was just a beautiful sight. And the song is amazing! Here is the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKooXwwk6bs
Moral of the story: IT was a GREAT weekend friends! Thanks for your continued prayers for these babies to grow and I will keep you posted on the final number on Friday! XOXO

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!