Tuesday, April 26, 2016

National Infertility Awareness Week 2016 - #StartAsking

Each year this week comes and goes by so fast that I feel like it is completely overlooked. This year, I am making it my personal goal to blow up my Blog, Facebook, and Instagram with infertility awareness posts so that if nothing else, at least my "friends" will see it. Who knows, maybe it will reach someone I didn't even know was going through the same thing I had to.

I can almost guarantee that every woman aged 28-45 either knows someone or themselves are struggling with some form of infertility. I'm an ex-math teacher here people and if the statistics are 1 in 8 people struggle with infertility, than anyone who has a few friends has it somewhere around them.
I just don't understand why it is kept such a secret. If someone is diagnosed with cancer it is plastered on Facebook with GoFundMe pages and them asking for all types of support. Why isn't it the same for infertility. It is a disease too and boy wouldn't it be nice if people were willing to donate to help with some treatment costs! I think the #1 problem that is preventing it from becoming widespread is that people who are affected by it are embarrassed or ashamed that they are "infertile." As if we chose to be! Of course we didn't, so why hide it and suffer in silence?

Listen, I am totally guilty of this. When I first was having trouble getting pregnant, I told NOONE that I was having to do IUIs to try and have a baby. I don't know if it was because I was embarrassed or if I just didn't want people to know because they would be asking me each month if it worked and if I was pregnant yet. It's enough of an emotional roller coaster to begin with, much less do I need people reminding me that No, I did not get pregnant again this month! Thanks a lot! The second time around, I was a little more open about having to do IVF, but I told my friends I was doing it a month after I really did. That way they weren't asking if I was pregnant. By the grace of God it worked, so when they asked what day I was doing it all, I was able to tell them I lied and I was already pregnant!

Ever since going through IVF, my outlook on it all has changed. It's not nearly as scary as you think and the shots are not that bad. The 2 week wait though...that's no joke! It is such a mental game that keeps you jumping from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows all within 10 seconds and you keep doing it for 14 days straight! You are aware of every cramp, gas bubble, bowel movement, basically any movement in your body and you of course over analyze what it could mean. It's tough. So since going through it, I have been making it my personal mission to reach out to as many people as possible going through it and just walk them through each step and answering any questions/fears they could possibly have. If I ever go back to work, I 100% want to be an infertility counselor to help prepare people for what they will endure.

Nowadays, I talk openly about all I have had to do to get my 2 beautiful daughters. When someone asks do I want more kids, I say "yes I do and I have 6 eggs frozen so who knows how many I will end up with!" (Several times I have said that and someone has overheard and later come up to me privately to ask about my experience and divulge they are struggling with infertility too.) My goal is that if I  talk about it enough, others will hear and 1. find comfort that they are not alone 2. take heart that they have someone they can go to to ask questions 3. raise awareness that it is WAY more common than you think to those who aren't struggling with it.

Unfortunately, I live in a state where infertility is not recognized as a disease. Therefore, insurance doesn't have to pay for it. I'm hoping one day in the near future Florida will jump on board with some of the other states and cover at least some of the costs. I can't imagine not being able to fulfill my dream of being a mom because of the cost of it. And for the love, how is it not covered 100% for injured war veterans whose wounds have caused them to have infertility issues! That is just ludicrous! After risking their lives for our safety and being injured, we can't pay to help them have a baby?!? Unacceptable! This years theme for National Infertility Awareness Week is #StartAsking. It is definitely time to Start Asking the government to do something to help people struggling with infertility! Everything else under the sun is recognized so why isn't infertility!

In my hopes to make it more aware and reach others struggling with infertility, I will be blogging my infertility journey over the next year. Starting next week I am going to start in(Fertility) Fridays, where I will update you on what's happening in my life. We are hoping to get pregnant again over this summer so there will be lots to share I am sure! Hopefully this weekly blogging will reach someone and help them through their struggles! Here's to hoping & praying God is on board with our plan for another child. Only time will tell!!!

To read more about my infertility journey so far, click this link.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Jamie for writing this! You are absolutely right...the more we talk about it, the more of an open discussion it will become and the more changes will hopefully start to happen. I am so grateful you were there for me when I needed to vent and get advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing!!! I love every word of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed with poor ovarian reserve and very bad prognosis of having a baby with my own eggs. I was even given the option to consider donor eggs. That was around july 2014. I was absolutely devastated with the news and I arranged an IVF for November 2014 and it failed also, given that I had nothing to lose, I contacted ( agbazara@gmail.com ) i meet online and he send me his herbal product,. Believe it or not... I am already pregnant within few after his help. contact him today with any kind of problem and be happy like me on:

    agbazara@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was diagnosed with poor ovarian reserve and very bad prognosis of having a baby with my own eggs. I was even given the option to consider donor eggs. That was around july 2014. I was absolutely devastated with the news and I arranged an IVF for November 2014 and it failed also, given that I had nothing to lose, I contacted ( agbazara@gmail.com ) i meet online and he send me his herbal product,. Believe it or not... I am already pregnant within few after his help. contact him today with any kind of problem and be happy like me on:

    agbazara@gmail.com OR call +2348104102662

    ReplyDelete
  5. With the help of a man called Dr.Addo I was able to get pregnant though his root and herbs. I'm 47years of age, it was really difficult for me to pregnant though my husband loves me but it was really hurting me not having my own child but after many years I came across Dr.Addo whose email address is ( addosolution@gmail.com ) he gave me Root and herbs and I was pregnant a week after i his help. I'm 7months pregnant now and also I will like to advice everyone looking for help to get pregnant to contact this very man via his email address: ( addosolution@gmail.com )

    Vivian from CANADA

    ReplyDelete